WHO WE ARE

We are living the way of Christ by cultivating: authentic worship, deep relationships, and God's life in our city.

We're called to cultivate a garden within the city of Auckland.

This garden is animated by God’s life, a place of intimacy with God, ordered but varied and dynamic.

We’re called to be the temple of the Holy Spirit; a place where the Spirit dwells with His people.  In doing so, God’s life flows out into the world.
 
We’re called to be the body of Christ, valuing and exercising the diverse array of ministries and gifts among us, to further God’s mission in the world.  In particular, we’re called to serve the wider diocese and city, especially in raising up and developing leaders.  

We're called to be the family of God; an intimate community in which we can bring our whole selves; a family in which we are known and can grow in Christ at every stage of life.  

How we seek to realise our mission.

By gathering for authentic worship, growing deep relationships, empowering and raising up leaders, following Christ in our everyday lives, engaging university students, speaking imaginatively and prophetically on the critical issues of today, restoring and developing our historic church, engaging with Tangata Whenua in a spirit of partnership and restoration, and encouraging mission, especially within our local context.

We are part of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa.

The history of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa dates back to the first christian church service held on Christmas Day 1814. The service was led by Rev’d Samuel Marsden and held on the site of what would become the Oihi Mission Station (now known as Marsden Cross) in the Bay of Islands.
 
Soon after signing Te Tiriti o Waitangi on 20 March 1840, Paramount Chief Apihai Te Kawau and Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei gifted 3000 acres on the Waitematā Harbour to Governor William Hobson to establish his new capital, Auckland.

St Paul's was the first church in Auckland and was originally located on Emily Place. The foundation stone was laid by Hobson on 26 July 1841 and the first service was held on 7 May 1843.

As the oldest church in Auckland, we have a rich history.

St Paul's is described as the "Mother Church" of Auckland having been founded within a year of the city. It was also the first permanent church structure in New Zealand. Now in its third and final location on Symonds Street, we want to further tell its incredible story, and over the coming years will continue to research and write that story. This is where we will be sharing our discoveries along the way. Much of our current research can be read on Wikipedia here.