The second vicar of St Paul’s was the Rev John Frederick Lloyd. In 1859 he became concerned for the plight of orphans in the parish. Together with Dr J. Kenderdyne he arranged for the care of seven orphans, this number steadily increasing as facilities improved. The Trustees of the St Stephens estate and Bishop Selwyn provided a site for an orphanage at Judges Bay, “near the sea beach where the children can play and bathe”, and in 1866 the children moved into large and airy dormitories. The Rev Lloyd was actively involved in ensuring the wellbeing of the children and was influential in changing the age when children could be sent out to work - raising it from 10 to 12 years of age!